Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Aspie Dr Suisse...I am an idiot....(but what are you)

I will not go "there"
I do not dare
to the place where they don't care
The place that says "my kind" don't matter
where I am seen as the Mad Hatter
A place that shivers with my not fitting
the haven for their fire spitting

I will not venture near that land
Where I'm knocked down when I stand
I can not follow their directions
Disgust in their eyes, is my reflection
And yes my world is black and white
my world has room for wrong and right
(I go quietly into that good night )

You will not find me in that place
Where there's no room for "other" tastes
All is sound  and light that blinds...
them to the world of "other" kinds
I once whispered to be heard 
but tired quickly of their absurd...
reality, that hurt my head
and made me wish that I was dead






A few authors have used "idiot" characters in novels, plays and poetry. Often these characters are used to highlight or indicate something else (allegory). Examples of such usage are William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and William Wordsworth's The Idiot Boy. Idiot characters in literature are often confused with or subsumed within mad or lunatic characters. The most common imbrication between these two categories of mental impairment occurs in the polemic surrounding Edmund from William Shakespeare's King Lear. In Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel The Idiot, the idiocy of the main character, Prince Lev Nikolaievich Myshkin, is attributed more to his honesty, trustfulness, kindness, and humility, than to a lack of intellectual ability. Nietzsche claimed, in his The Antichrist, that Jesus was an idiot. This resulted from his description of Jesus as having an aversion toward the material world.[17]

Thanks Wikki !


I was reading ablog the other day that was talking about idiosyncrasy . The def. they had mentioned "individualism" and it sent me straight to Wikki . I broke the key to "big words" by realizing that they were usually smashed together small words or really short sentences . I learned to dechipher them when I was younger by looking for the small words in them to try and figure out what the word meant . (I think that's why they should still be teaching Latin and Greek in Grade school since they are the root languages of many English words .)


Anyway, that is why I was curious about idiosyncrasy . The image that first popped into my mind when I saw the word was from "common usage", some one who was weird with a negative connotation . However, it was the first time I saw the word "idiot" in the term and wondered what relation being an idiot and "unique" has in common . I thought perhaps there was a key there in how society perceives individuality and I don't think I was far off  .


So. go read what Wikki has to say and draw your own conclusion but this is mine . The Greeks seemed to think that someone was an idiot because they were not involved in the social and political worlds but the Latins saw them as someone who was merely a crafts person and uneducated though not incapable of learning . It wasn't until the social scientist got a hold of the word that "idiot" became a spot on the "intellectual spectrum" . 


So, like the term retarded...(a word I prefer to the absurd, inaccurate and there for PC modern term "developmentally delayed "), I am "taking back" idiot for myself . I am retarded......(unable to develop in some cognitive areas of functioning....not delayed but permanently  held back ie retarded !!!! I am not ever going to develop those abilities and some abstract time in the future .

I am also an idiot....uninterested and uninvolved in social life . I think I would more specifically be called a ...
"Nietzsche/Dostoevsky Idiot" as my aspie qualities are best represented by their characterization of someone who is known by their  honesty, trustfulness, kindness, humility and lack of interest in materialism .....(OK, perhaps maybe some would say humility is not accurate but I think an over all lack of self esteem is pretty close) .

I'm a retarded idiot and humble about it !




3 comments:

  1. The Spring Fling would love your donations!! Bettina

    bettina dot groh @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post.. got me thinking
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always felt Prince Mishkin from D---sky's "The Idiot" fit me pretty well. I should go back and read it again. It's been about 30 years.

    Funny you should say 'craftsman'...seems you're on to something. Maybe the Greeks weren't so wise. I've had it up to my ears with Aristotlean Rationalism. Another excuse for having your head up your...

    Yours truly... Rose

    PS: I've enjoyed the discussion at Lili Marlenes (?) Incorrect Pleasures. You've inspired two posts for me at raggette.blogspot.com. Look for the magic letters on the last one. You need Aspie glasses...

    Rose

    ReplyDelete